Friday, November 23, 2012

Bye Bye Baby

I will begin with a warning, this post will likely be short - but not so sweet.  

This evening, Ashley and myself attended a basketball game in our hometown.  It was a great game, good turn out, and a decent amount of fun.  However, shortly after we arrived we noticed something that, quite frankly, has me outraged.  Sitting in the front row court side was a couple, the woman was holding an infant.  This child could not have been more than a month old.  Now, throughout the game we noticed the ball fly into the court side seats numerous times -- not a light throw either -- flying through the air full force.  I am in utter shock and awe that there are parents out there stupid enough to sit in such an incredibly dangerous spot, with a newborn baby.  I was just waiting for the ball to come flying at them and ultimately kill the child.  This woman was not holding the baby in a protective manner either.  The baby was "sitting" on her lap, facing forward -- literally a few steps from the court.  I witnessed the ball thrown into the crowd right next to this family.  It actually disgusted me to the point that it took a lot for me not to walk over and inform her that she is clearly an unfit parent.  If I see it again, I assure you, I will not remain so reserved.

Now, there is one more thing that is upsetting about this game.  Our team is called the Summerside Storm.  They are pro team, therefore, they have "cheerleaders."  However, these "cheerleaders" -- suitably named "The Storm Troopers" are nothing but a crew of maybe fifteen pre-teens.  Some people would consider this to be cute and good for the community, unfortunately  kids today find a way to turn anything into an embarrassment.  The first few games of the Storm's first season, these 12, 13, and 14 year old girls were dressed so provocatively that hundreds of people complained.  Can someone explain to me who thought it was a good idea in the first place to dress up these kids like hookers and have them dance around an arena with 2000+ people watching them?  That isn't even the main issue here.  After the complaining, these "cheerleaders" are dressed from head to toe -- they've even gone to the extreme of wearing full sweatsuits.  The problem that I witnessed was how these girls were dancing.  There are kids, most of which are likely just starting high school (if they are even that old).  Throughout all of their little displays I watched them like hawks -- I would have bet a lot of money that they learned their moves from watching stripper videos.  They wiggle their completely covered asses like they want you to give them some "dolla dolla bills."

I am all for our team having "cheerleaders", but they need to decide if they want children or your typical busty blonde.  Mixing children and "slutty" dance moves should never be done.  There are enough problems in the world where girls are getting pregnant at younger ages than ever before -- MTV has gone so far as to take advantage of this by making their "16 and pregnant" series.  With all those pregnancies, girls showboating their "assets" in such a way doesn't do much to deter the boys.  Girls of that age should never be considered sexy, let alone trying to be.  It actually disgusts me to see such young girls trying to obtain the attention of the audience and the players by shaking their "booties".  

Well, that is my rant for the day, I will end here before I get carried away.

-Drea