Monday, April 16, 2012

The Transition

Well, this post is long overdue.  I apologize for the long time between posts, but sometimes I just have nothing to write about.  Now, on to today's topic.  The Transition!!!


Transition to what?  Living with my mother.  Yes, you read it right.  Ian and I have moved in with my mother and step-dad in order to save money throughout the summer (so we are better off financially for the upcoming school year).  I knew that this move was going to be bad, but it is shockingly horrible.  After being here for 3 nights, I already want to say screw it and find a cheap apartment.  It isn't that they are that bad, it is the fact that we simply cannot live the way we want.  We -- just like them -- have developed our own lifestyle, a particular way of doing things.  Sadly, our lifestyles completely clash.  For example, Ian and I enjoy eating dinner while watching a movie or TV show in the comfort of our room, it is just the way we've always done it.  However, in this house, we aren't allowed to eat upstairs, so that definitely messes with our system.  It seems minor, but really, when put into the situation where even the smallest bit of your lifestyle needs to be altered, it sucks -- a lot.  


There are far too many things to mention.  I have to keep reminding myself that they are doing us a huge favor, and have to take everything in stride.  It is definitely going to be the hardest thing I've ever had to do.  I seriously had 100% more freedom when I was a teenager living here.  I feel completely "crippled" (pardon the term).  When I look forward to the end of the summer, I picture mom and I being completely estranged....or, Ian and I breaking up.  However, my relationship with Ian is beyond strong, and I have complete faith that we can survive this.  


I honestly don't feel like I am overreacting whatsoever.  I feel like each and every one of you would feel the same if you were in this situation.  I suppose its not ALL bad either.  Unfortunately at this point in time, I am unable to see what isn't bad about it -- other than the ability to save money all summer.  As of right now, we are not working...we are on the job hunt.  Ian keeps telling me that once we start working, it will get better, as we won't be here all day, everyday.  I think he is right.  We will be gone 8-10 hours a day, 5-6 days a week, that will definitely make it easier to handle.


Don't get me wrong.  We both appreciate them allowing us to live here for the summer.  If it weren't for them, God only knows where we'd end up this summer otherwise.  Honesty, another thing that makes it all so horrible...is that we are in Summerside.  This city....my God this city....sucks.  It is so quiet and dead all the time.  There is literally nothing to do, ever.  We have the option of going to Tim Hortons, driving around, or going for a drink at a bar that is filled with seniors.  There are no places for the younger crowd, whatsoever.  Due to that fact, we spend all our time inside, watching movies or Kenny vs Spenny.  Then, my mother asks me why we are couped up inside all day.  Well....that would be why.


Anyway, we are here now and making the best of it.  I don't think it will be horrible the entire summer, we are just still adjusting to the changes.  We will get used to it eventually.  I guess this is the price we pay for wanting to further our education and not being rich -- but that is a completely different post, regarding our governments complete disrespect for students, stay tuned for that one!!


Well guys, this was a short post, but I will be posting again soon - I promise.


-Drea